Grandpa Tumlin told that in 1948, when planting the first vineyard, he felt a strong emotional bond and possession towards his own land, together with the pride to be able to continue the tradition of his ancestors whose roots date back until 1837. A precious heritage of ancient wisdom, that Tumlìn handed down to our parents, to us, and even to our children.
He taught us to listen to the seasons while watching the shoots, the vine leaves and grapes, almost caressing them along their growth.
He gave us the typical perseverance of a peasant who can patiently wait Nature's reward for his efforts. This is the heritage of grandpa Tumlin.
Ours is the story of a family and an alliance between old and new generations, which now makes it possible to renew the past by accepting the innovations of the future.
Thanks to these strong roots in our land and in our history, the wines made by Cantine Povero today are "bottled experiences" that are meant as a gift to the world.
A perfect symbiosis, a strong union between man and Nature where each stage is supported by an experienced oenological practice that allows the glass to become a veritable poetry of the senses: balance, immediacy, depth, preciousness.
The land’s rhythms and seasons are fully respected: the ethical code of Cantine Povero consists in responsible work in the vineyards, constant attention and carefulness and in listening to Nature so that each grape releases its most intense aroma and its most authentic personality.
The dedication for the land results also in an environmentally sustainable development: the traditional cultivation in the vineyards is practiced with the support of natural eco-friendly technologies: herbicides and chemical fertilizers are not used; self-production of electricity needed by the production phases is made possible thanks to an innovative photovoltaic system that reduces daily emissions of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere; all the water necessary to production steps is extracted, extremely pure, from the ancient family-owned water well.
1837: the oldest document in our possession: Francesco Povero buys a vineyard in Regione Fippiane.
1948: Bartolomeo Povero, or rather grandpa Tumlin, cultivates the vineyard inherited and increases production with a plot well exposed to the sun in Regione Cravé. 60 years later, the Santa Lucrezia Cisterna d'Asti Doc will be produced from that plot.
1964: the excellent vintage gives the young brothers John and Michelino the inspiration to produce the first bottles. Their corageous resourcefulness will be greatly rewarded.
1976: the turning point. The brothers acquire the current headquarters at the foot of the medieval castle. This encourages them to plant new vineyards.
Today: Luca and Romano are the sales managers, Daniele works in the vineyards and Alessio and Margherita follow the winemaking process and manage the canteen.
Contact us to discover the poetry of the Povero wines>>>>>>>>